Advice from Father to Son: How to Shave the Right Way > NEWSROOM

NEWSROOM

NEWSROOM

Advice from Father to Son: How to Shave the Right Way

페이지 정보

작성일22-06-24

본문

dafd9a5c6fb01e519b20f67396c7677a_1656048791_2895.jpg 

When facial hair appears on the face of teenagers, it is a call for parents to check out a men’s grooming section in the supermarket. Facial hair signals the transition from childhood to adulthood. For teenagers, shaving is more than an act of cutting facial hair and is a rite of passage to manhood. As DORCO’s slogan ‘Make It a Good Start’ suggests, the first step is all that matters. Chris Cho, Marketing Team Manager of DORCO HQ, shares his shaving guide for teenage children. 

dafd9a5c6fb01e519b20f67396c7677a_1656046876_799.jpg

The history of shaving is as old as the history of beards. Prehistoric people shaved with clamshells and even shark teeth. Just thinking of it may give an itch and burning feeling. Cho’s first shaving experience was not different. He said that back then, advice on how to shave was hard to come by.  

“In my first year at the middle school, I tried shaving with a disposable twin-blade razor. It was the favorite of my father, who was a frequent business traveler. When my facial hair began to sprout, I considered shaving it, half out of necessity and half out of curiosity. Picking up the razor from the side of the sink, I felt like a grown man. I ended up with cuts on my face and even razor bumps, probably because I shared my father’s razor. It left a stinging sensation. Once I became a father myself, I studied a lot about shaving to teach my son how to shave the right way.”

The first shave is significant in man’s life not just because of its symbolic nature but because it can determine the direction and shape of facial hair growth. One of the key advices from Cho is to pick out the right razor depending on the skin conditions and sensitivity. 

“Skin conditions and sensitivity need to be taken into consideration, when selecting the first razor. My recommendations for those with sensitive skin are DORCO PACE 6 PRO (SXD1000) which offers a clean shave with fewer strokes or DORCO PACE 6 PRO 3D Motion (SXD2000) whose razor head moves smoothly to hug the facial contours. Also, for those with acne-prone skin, DORCO PACE 5 PRO(FVA1000) is recommended. It is equipped with a multi-step guard bar to prevent shaving foam or gel from being wiped away and help the razor blade glide over the skin without causing irritations. Its rounded lubricating strip can also help achieve gentle shaving as it touches larger part of skin while offering effective leaching of lubrication.

dafd9a5c6fb01e519b20f67396c7677a_1656046883_6689.png

After choosing the right razor, the next step is to learn how to shave properly. A first shave that resulted in a bloody outcome gives the fear of getting cut. What it takes to prevent shaving cuts on sensitive teenage skin. No matter how cautious people are, getting hurt in life is inevitable. Here are Cho’s advice on how to avoid and treat razor nicks and cuts.

“It is a good idea to splash the face with warm water or take a hot shower before shave, as it helps soften the beard and opens pores. A pre-shave hot towel treatment makes shaving easier and comfortable. Be sure to prepare the skin prior to shaving with shaving foam or gel. Rinsing the face with cold after shave helps soothe the skin. If there are any cuts, clean the wound and apply an antiseptic cream.”

Meanwhile, timing is also an issue. Shaving is an act of self-care yet with many questions: What if shaving makes hair turn thicker or what if shaving causes irritation to hormonal acne-prone skin?

“Shaving hair—no matter what part of the body—doesn’t mean the hair will grow back thicker. As shaved hair grows out, the coarser base part may give the illusion of thicker hair. In addition, shaving removes not only facial hair but also dead skin cells from the skin surface. Accordingly, shaving, when done properly, should not be a problem. As acne-prone skin is vulnerable to infections, it is best to seek acne treatments before starting to shave. When shaving is needed, try to shave around pimples, and avoid popping pimples.”

Teenagers are on the cusp of adulthood, but they are not adults yet. Thus, parents are advised to keep an eye on when a razor, a new tool for teenagers, needs to be replaced. The replacement cycle varies by individuals according to the thickness of hair, skin conditions, and shaving frequencies. It is best to ask regularly if the razor blades tug at the hair or feel uncomfortable against the skin and replace them accordingly. Maintaining a razor is a responsibility that teenage children can grasp. Cho explains how to maintain the razor blade.

uc?export=view&id=1hwSqFBD4AIGYR7RTCtWeww-3xn2krNh-

“At the end of the shave, rinse the razor blade with running water and let it dry in a dry place. When left wet, the razor blades are susceptible to bacteria. Parents can remind their teenage children that keeping the razor clean and hygienic helps them steer clear of skin troubles and let them relate to how important the maintenance is.”

Cho concluded the interview with a message to his son who is set to reach a shaving age.

“I can’t wait for the day when I can teach you how to shave, and it will be overwhelming to see your first try. I hope you grow up to be a mature man inside and out with a promising future ahead. I am happy to be there for you when you start your journey to manhood. I love you so much.”